Saturday, July 7, 2012

Happy 4th of July

This 4th was filled with family, friends, and neighbors.  My boys were excited to wake from their naps to find Oma had decorated with her American flags.  Immediately they both needed one and began marching around the house.  

My younger brother brought over sections of speeches that helped form our nation.  I was flattered when he picked a specific one for me about the demand for being treated equal as women, he knows me well.  

Food, was followed by the funnest drum circle that just came about naturally.  Thankfully my nephew Dalen, who plays the guitar was here and he pulled us all together.  It was amazing to watch as my 75 year-old neighbor grabbed a drum and lead us out.  

As I watched everyone, each from a differing part of the world, joined together to celebrate our countries independence, I was glad to be an American, to be one that strives for equality and peace. This year I reflected on how I strive for this in my own life, of how I live this, and realized what a constant struggle it is.  The struggle for inner peace, for peace towards my family,  and to have peace towards others. 

No comments:

Post a Comment