Friday, January 6, 2012

Recipe of the Week - Chocolate Pudding

Okay, since our garden's production is down I haven't felt inclined to share a recipe of the week.  My intention is to share recipes using produce that we offer each week, thus helping people to create and try new veggies and new recipes, keeping them motivated about supporting our CSA.  Since it is winter, although it is 60 degrees outside and doesn't seem like winter at all, I've decided to include a yummy, somewhat healthy snack.

Pete and Golden were outside working on the cob oven making mud, and they kept saying it looked just like chocolate so they were going to eat it.  This inspired me to make something similar, so as I left the garden I asked them what they wanted for lunch and then quickly purposed the idea of chocolate pudding.  Golden looked at me suspiciously, and asked me if I was just kidding.  What kid wouldn't want chocolate pudding for lunch?  I didn't respond, I just left him wondering if he was really going to get pudding for lunch.  I'm always a sucker for chocolate, but how could I make it healthy enough to call it lunch?  Okay so I did make something more for lunch but I also made the most delicious pudding ever.  This recipe is adapted from Chef Rachels' book The Garden of Eating called Chocolate-Avocado Mousse.

Chocolate-Avacado Mousse
Ingredients
1 cup cold water
4 teaspoons unflavored gelatin
1/2 cup pitted dates
2 medium, ripe avacados, diced
1/2 cup cocoa powder
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
3/4 cup cold water
(this is my special addition)
1 ripe banana
2 TBS. peanut butter (honestly I'd add more, maybe 4 TBS.)
Rachel also suggests: orange zest and rum, I didn't add either.
Directions:
1. Sprinkle gelatin over a cup of cool water in a sauce pan.  Slowly heat, until gelatin is disolved.
2. Add gelatin and dates to blender and blend.  Turn off and add all the other ingredients.  Scrap sides as needed to get all ingredients mixed together.
3. Taste, try not to eat it all straight out of the blender.  Add stevia (1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon) if you want it sweeter or another banana.
4. Spoon into bowls and enjoy.

I'm always looking for snacks for my kids that don't involve high fructose corn syrup, or cups and cups of sugar.  This one was awesome.  I believe it would freeze nicely for summer time popsicle too.

No comments:

Post a Comment