Fried Okra
Having no clue as to how to prepare okra, I went to my trusty friend Kahla. Currently she is my herbal instructor, my mentor, and a great friend. During class we hold a potluck, so I brought a bag of okra. Her excitement for fresh okra was just what I was expecting. So here is how you do it....
Okra
Salt
Pepper
Corn meal or millet flour
Oil
Wash and cut the stem ends off of the okra. Then cut the okra into cm. pieces, think, "will this go into my mouth gracefully?" Combine salt and pepper in corn meal. Heat up a pan with a generous amount of oil, you don't want your okra to swim but you do want it to get it's feet wet. Dip each side of the okra in the cornmeal mixture and place each piece in hot pan. Allow them to brown and flip over, browning the other side too. This was such a hit my almost 2 year-old snarfed it down.
Okra should be eaten as soon as possible, and goes great with your morning eggs.

No comments:
Post a Comment