We've turned from jammin' to saucing...apple saucing that is. It's a huge leap going from many pint sized jars after hours of processing to only nine quart sized jars. At first I couldn't figure out what was wrong, why such a small number. As I put them away on my storage shelf, seeing all the pint sized jars of jam, I realized how big a quart sized jar actually is, and I was grateful for the work accomplished this past Thursday. It took two and 1/2 hours, Suzie and I washed, pealed, cooked, flavored, and canned nine quarts of apple sauce.
As for the 23th we will be making and canning apple pie filling. As always I get started around 10 am, and don't stop till the mess is cleaned up. If you want to join in the fun and hard work, come on over, bring your quart sized jars and apple slicers, and a donation of $10 or more to cover the cost of the apples and spices.
Future classes: I've found recipes for carmeled apple butter, and pumpkin apple butter that I'll be attempting soon.
No comments:
Post a Comment