Prior to this summer I had never eaten okra. Now it is in abundance in our house and I've found a variety of ways to use it. Previously I shared 'Fried Okra', which I enjoy, this time I'm sharing two other ways to use it. The quickest-use-it-later way is to cut it in 1/4 in. slices and flash freeze it, by placing it on cookie sheets and freezing it. Once frozen, place the pieces in freezer baggies and use in soups later in the season. It's a little hot for soup now, but later you'll appreciate the natural thickening qualities this adds to your soup. You'll also feel good that you didn't just waste it cause you didn't know how to use it. Since I harvest okra every other day, I have many baggies filled up ready for fall and winter use.
The second way to use okra is to make a casserole or lasagne style. I layer the bottom of a cake pan with 1/4 in. cut pieces, put sauce over the okra, add cheese, and then start the process over, okra, sauce, cheese. I made this with sausage and it was delicious. My dad was so delighted to have something from childhood, that he couldn't stop talking about it. I had no idea that my dad had grown up on okra casserole, something that he claims that they ate at least once a week.

When I was a kid my Mom would buy HUGE jars of pickled okra - oh it was SO yummy. I love okra in gumbo, I think I'll try it in minestrone next time. So yummy.
ReplyDeleteThey eat a lot of okra in Japan, tempura okra is my favorite so far.
ReplyDelete