Another visit from kale, as stated previously kale needs to be cooked in order to attain the nutritents avaiable, as well as, cutting back on the bitterness of the plant, although as it cools the bitterness lessens. Pictured above is a typical breakfast here on our farm.
Ingredients:
olive oil
onion-cut how you like it
mushrooms
red pepper(s)
kale
I start with sauteing the onions in olive oil, until translucent, then add the mushrooms. Saute for another 3-5 minutes. I like my peppers slightly crunchy, so I don't add them until the very end, as well as the kale. Make sure that you cut the kale into graceful bites, which means that it should be easy to put a fork full in your mouth without have the leaf dangle outside of your mouth. I remove my skillet from the heat. Put a lid over it, and allow it to steam for 8-10 minutes. The kale should turn bright green and should be easy to chew. If you find the leaves hard or bitter then cook for longer.
Yesterday I actually cut the kale up fine enough that it just looked like an herb. I cooked it in my spaghetti sauce and enjoyed it with my kids for lunch over noodles.

No comments:
Post a Comment