This is Kale. Flat leafed and curly leafed varieties, that are both grown in our garden. This entry is going to be all about why you should eat it and quick tips of how to prepare it. We've been told that oranges are good for us and are high in calcium, so let's compare the two and see how we come out. The following comparison is taken from the cookbook Garden of Eating:
Nutrient Kale Oranges Differences:
Calories 38 49 orange has 29 % more
Protein 4.2 g 1 g kale has 420% more
Calcium 179 mg 41mg kale has 437% more
Phosphorus 73 mg 20 mg kale has 365% more
Iron 2.2 mg 0.4 mg kale has 550% more
Potassium 378 mg 200 mg kale has 189% more
Vitamin A 8900 IU 200 IU kale has 4450% more
Vitamin C 125 mg 50 mg kale has 250% more
So when we feel a head cold coming on, maybe we should reach for the kale? There are downsides to kale, as well as mustard greens, collared, and turnip greens, like the taste and digestibility. It's pretty hard on our digestive system if eaten raw. Cooking it breaks down this tough outer layer and makes it more palatable, as well as, making the nutrients more available. The suggested cook time is 8-10 minutes.
What we offer in a weekly share I use in one meal. I remove the stems. My kids aren't so excited about greens, but if I chop them up fine enough and cook them with something they'll eat it. For example I add kale to my tomato sauce, then in turn use it as spaghetti sauce or lasagne sauce. I also add it to eggs and make burritos, something about my kids not being able to see it makes it okay, and they always expect something green at every meal.
I love eating it with sauteed onions and mushrooms in the morning with my eggs. I also enjoy it on baked frittata. I make my frittata with sweet potatoes and eggs, I add the greens to the top, as well as, what ever herb I have on the counter, cover, allow the greens time to become bright green, cool, and serve. My kid's also enjoy this. Hope this make kale more appealing and that you adventure in trying it.

No comments:
Post a Comment