Thursday, October 20, 2011

Recipe of the Week -Frittata


Yummy goodness is what this equals, filling, everyone likes it (as long as I leave the kale off of G-mans), travels well, and there are leftovers for later.  This is a dish I discovered in a class that I took at the Merc, a natural grocery store in Lawrence, KS, that I love to shop at, and take classes at.  My instructor was Karen Duggan, a wonderfully supportive nutritionalist.  Lawrence is a place I  honestly attempt to find an excuse to go down there at least twice a month.  This months excuse is going to be that I need to go see my good friend Brooke, and enjoy some food at Zen Zero.  Or perhaps I'd like to take my sister-in-law down for the art walk?  As always so many options.  The following recipe is adapted from a recipe shared in the class.

Ingredients:
2 TB. olive oil
5-7 medium potatoes, we love sweet potatoes, sometimes I mix to stretch our sweet potato stash a little further.  The amount should be appropriate for your family.
1 cup of greens, ex. spinach, swiss chard, kale, arugula, boy choy
half an onion, which ever kind you like
2 cloves of garlic, crushed
6-8 eggs, appropriate for your family
herbs, what do you have?  Basil, oregano, thyme, dill, rosemary...
salt and pepper

Directions:
1.  Cut your potatoes into thin slices, chop onion, prepare garlic, cut greens into bite sized pieces (no one likes the huge piece of leaf that they can't gracefully fit into their mouth).  Prep work up front makes putting the dish together a snap.
2. In a skillet warm olive oil over medium heat.  Add chopped onions.  Saute, I love when I can smell their sweetness.
3.  Add the garlic to the onion, saute, about 1 minute.
4.  Add the sliced potatoes, cover, and cook for about 10 minutes.
5.  Add herb(s) and salt and pepper.
6. While waiting, beat the eggs together.  Add greens, then pour eggs over potatoes and greens.  Turn heat to low, cook until edges are firm and middle is still soft.
7.  Place skillet in oven on broil setting, this requires that your skillet can go into an oven, if it can't then just continue cooking on stove top till the eggs are cooked to the consistency that you enjoy.  If you have the oven option, then place in the middle of your oven until puffy and brown.
8.  Pull out of oven, cool, cut, serve, enjoy!

As stated above this is a great meal to pack along for a family outings, or use a larger skillet in order to create enough for leftovers.  I love having various meals at my finger tips on Sundays when I'm exhausted and just need something good to eat now.

No comments:

Post a Comment