Saturday, August 6, 2011

The Cursed 'C' Word

When I met and fell in love with my husband, he often would get on his soap box about what is wrong with the world and how to fix it.  His quest was always to create 'community'.  I didn't understand his vision regarding this word.  As good organic farmers we are bought into supporting local community businesses and networking, but as my husband preached of community I found myself tuning him out and saying, "blah, blah, blah." over and over again in my head.  I began to loath his search and excitement for community.  I neither understood his quest or his passion for such a word.  It always sounded like some hippy commune somewhere else, but not something attainable or being located right here. 

Recently I've caught the vision, maybe even just today, five years later with a lot of 'blah, blah" in my head and I finally get it.  Upon moving here my dad would tip us off about places to buy certain things, like dog food, and hardware.  Quickly I realized that my father was big into supporting the little man, or local businesses.  I love the places were I walk in and am asked by name how I am doing and what I need, love it!  After living in Germany for so long and then moving to the land of strip-malls and chain businesses I never thought I'd find a community with Ma and Pa feel ever again.  So I've been on a quest, a little bit on an assignment from my mother, and I'm visiting and getting to know the local business of Leavenworth, Kansas.  In September I'm going to do a presentation about what to do in Leavenworth.

The community of Leavenworth is very fluid, a lot of the residence are military and only here for three years or less, mostly one year.  One year to meet and befriend people and introduce them to the local Leavenworth community.  I've lived here on and off for the last 16 years that my parents have been here.  I've found little places I like, and fun little shops, but not until now with my assignment have I dove into a community like I have now.  This week alone I visited two restaurants, a very unique antique shop, a cooking supply store, the art center, an herbal school, and networked at the farmers market.  Wow!  There is a lot to do, see, eat, and participate in right here. 

My new favorite restaurant is the Peacock Cafe.  A swanky, artsy cafe, where organic ingredients matter and you feel right at home.  The owner Kelly is a jem, and her chocolate cake is to die for, and it's gluten-free. 

At the Farmers Market, when we started cleaning up I traded tomatoes for sausage, peacock feathers, and salve.  I discovered Lamborn Farm, besides selling grass-feed beef, pasture-raised lamb & pork, and free-range chicken, their farm has been family run since 1870, they are restoring a barn on their property that dates back to the 1890's.  On September 24th and 25th they are hosting a fall festival, they also have a pumpkin patch, do campfires, and chuck wagon meals,

At the herbal school, okay let's just stop there, an herbal school in Leavenworth, Kansas, how cool is that?  It's called Prairie Wise and it's located on 80 acres of the most peaceful, beautiful, and enchanting land.  With a lilly pad laden pond, we adventured around the property with new 'hats' on, and enjoyed getting to know Kahla, the resident herbalist.
With Our Lilly Pad Hats
The unique antique shop had cupboards and bookshelves built out of old doors and porch posts, and beautiful tables that made you want to build a large dinning room just to host the table.  I felt like I could feel the dynamic conversations that could occur around this table, ahhh!  Brooklyn's named after a granddaughter. 


So the cursed 'C' word has turned into a reality for me, a magic one at that.  I've met so many like-minded, artsy, musical, creative people that inspire me to do more and create more.  I guess you can say that it's all about community and getting to know who is out there living their dream.

1 comment:

  1. So I kind of want to come to your presentation in Sept. I know I'm not really in your ward... but I think I might "enrichment crash" if you let me know what it is :)

    ReplyDelete