Friday, January 14, 2011

The Anti-Perfect Craft Advent Calendar

With all of the fun events that took place during the month of December I figured it would be helpful for my three-year-old to have some type of advent calendar in order to help him visually understand when things were going to happen throughout the month.  In all of my free time, which seems like a quick sprint and it's over, I looked up advent calenders for kids to make.  I've taught art to elementary children for quite a few years and none of the calendars shown were done by kids.  The perfection of each calendar was absolutely nauseating.  With my slogan of 'keep it simple', I decided simple stars would be the way we'd represent each day, with special events, like: Dalen coming, Kevin and Steph's wedding, our family trip, and Christmas, all represented with quick stick drawings. 

I got everything ready during Golden's nap and proposed the idea to him when he awoke.  He loved the stars and went to work cutting them out.  Cutting is a fine art and I have the utmost respect for those that take cutting seriously, my son however is not one of those souls.  Don't get me wrong, the kid loves to cut, but he is three, so cut he did.  Each and every piece of paper I gave him he cut it up into as many pieces as he could.  Next to cutting, gluing is probably his second favorite art skill to participate in.  Simple perfect stars were replaced with art masterpieces.  I love that I have him to show me what real art is.  Real art is about kids, created by kids, with their skills, and getting out of their way with our desire to create perfected 'crafts'.  So I might just be the only mom out there that is willing to let my kid create as he wants to create and post about it.  Yes, I did use my 'perfect' stars too! 

By the way, all of the homemade gifts I posted earlier weren't all made by me, I actually went back and add credit were credit is due.

No comments:

Post a Comment