Monday, November 26, 2012

Thanksgiving with the Whole Family

As a little girl, I still remember my mom telling me to enjoy my siblings, and play often, cause one day I was going to be an adult, and it was going to come quicker then I thought.  My young mind couldn't fathom such a crazy idea, me grown-up, never!  Now look at us, not just grown-up, but married, and most of us with kids.   Being the forth child in this bunch, has provided tons of experiences and memories.  It's been years since we've all gotten together.  Getting eight kids along with their families to all agree to come and be together has been quite the under taking. 
This was a different kind of Thanksgiving for us.  Typically we just have fun adventures, but avoid the serious stuff.  We joke around a lot, which is fun, but sometime we accidentally hurt one anothers' feelings.  This time we did thing a little different.  Everyone had time to do a 10 minute presentation about anything they wanted. To talk about something and not be interrupted.

For the first time my son Orion was honored and I got to share my feelings about him and how much I miss him, and how I dislike the month of November, making this very event challenging for me. This wasn't my presentation, these thoughts and feelings came up in other's presentations.  I had thought about sharing this painful, heartfelt experience in my life, but didn't want to be this open and vulnerable..  People often ask me what to say to people who have lost a child.  The worst thing you could do is not mention it at all.  Five years of not mentioning it as a family has left me to carry my sadness alone, with just my little family.  Thanks to those of you who have talked to me and allowed me to tell my story.  This one act allowed so much healing to occur for me.  Thank you all!

These simple presentations allowed each person to get as personal as they wanted or didn't want.  I was touched by what others shared.  The openness of everyone was astounding and inspiring.  I see each of you a little bit clearer, and love you more deeply!  I'm grateful to be in such an amazing family!

No comments:

Post a Comment