Confession, strawberries bought from a store motivated the making of all of this jam. I'd love to grow strawberries in a quantity that excess could be used for jam, but that would require 1. a patch dedicated to strawberries only, and 2. an excess of strawberries. I never for see the second one happening as strawberries have been my favorite fruit since childhood, so store bought it is. Needless to say I've been a little busy this last week. Forty-one jars later I'm not convinced that we have enough for the year, we've already gone through five jars and you should have seen Oma cleaning out the bottom of a jar to make sure she got every last morsel. I made three different flavors, strawberries, strawberry-blackberry (harvested from our garden and frozen until now), and the surprise concoction that I've proudly labeled Happy Berri. Happy Berri is your typical last batch, the batch where you run out of the little of everything and fun substitutes are made, resulting in something you'll never be able to recreate, but turns out the favorite one.
Here's the first dinner we enjoyed which included Happy Berri as a key ingredient. Homemade bread, turned into french toast (farm fresh eggs of course), topped with homemade cheese mixed with Happy Berri jam, delicious! Guess the pink color compliments the name that all of my nieces and nephews call me - Aunt Pinkie, finally the nickname fits.
Did you get over your strawberry allergy??
ReplyDeleteOh.my.heck... that sounds DELICIOUS!!
ReplyDeleteWe're growing strawberries here, but there will never be an extra abundance for canning. We eat them too fast!
To the store it'll be!