Monday, November 1, 2010

Pear Sauce

Our pear tree only grew about 10 pears this year, boy were they delicious.  Thankfully others have trees and they don't like to harvest them, so we benefited from someone else's tree this year.  Since our apple sauce was such a success we decided that is what we would do with the pears.  Unfortunately, the process for apple sauce doesn't work for pears.  The pears were to soft for the peeler, they turned to juice in the saucer, and boiling didn't change anything.  By noon we still had not accomplished making pear sauce.  Then we discovered the quick way to process very ripe pears - the blender.  We quartered all of the pears, cut out the stem and core, and put them in the blender, making this the quickest saucing process yet.  So now we are enjoying ginger-pear, cranberry-pear, and lemon pear sauces, 20 jars of it.  Yummy!

5 comments:

  1. I love free pears! I usually try to can a few quarts of pears, but I haven't tried pear sauce. Maybe next year! The pear sauce sounds delish!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh! I remember doing this with you a couple years ago!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Who is that handsome man in the middle of those kids?

    ReplyDelete