Friday, August 9, 2013

What's the Weather Like?

What's the weather like?  This growing season started off with a late snow storm, late as in May 2nd.  Then it warmed up to the 90 and I wondered where spring had gone.  This made planting tricky, summer crop seeds don't like snow or 90.  Then the best  month for planting, May, was gone.  After having a drought last summer, this summer has felt like a dream.  It's August now, I have time to type cause it is raining.  It's been raining all day.  This is one of those storms you expect in the Spring time, but it's been raining each night on and off for almost the entire week.  The last few days have been in the 80's, I am not complaining, I love it, though tomatoes seem to want more, as they are three weeks late putting on, and overly watered, which causes them to split.

I use to think it was funny when people got together and chatted about the weather, as if it were the only thing worth mentioning.  My educated mind looked down on such conversations.  Why chat weather when we could be talking about how to better our school systems, or how to move green energy to the for front of political debates, or or or....but now I'm a farmer, and as such the weather effects everything.  I wake up and run our four dogs six days a week and I walk them on Sundays.  Rainy weather limits where I can run, cause mud is slippery, overly hot weather limits how long I can run. After the dogs, I care for our garden.  Lack of rain means I water, to much rain means I lose my garlic as they split this time of year with too much watering.

It's nice to be in touch with nature.  When I had an office job, I found it funny how people hurried from one air conditioned place to another.  House, to car, to work, to car, to house.  This left me with little time to notice what was going on outside, and it didn't provide for me meeting new people, cause I needed to stay at a cooler temperature in the summer and a warm temperature in the winter.  Strange how being so close to nature has made me respect and appreciate weather,  how it dictates what and when I can get things done.

Hope you are enjoying today's weather!!

No comments:

Post a Comment