Thursday, October 11, 2012
He's Embraced the Art of Sewing
Much of Waldorf Education at a young age is just role modeling. I've been sewing around and for this little man since he was born. I checked out a book at the library called Sew School, he went through it and told me which project he wanted to start with - an apple. So I helped him cut out all of the pieces and thread his needle. He caught on so simply, it was awesome. Now he's asking me to help him sew more pillows for his 'friends' (stuffed animals).
I remember very well the love of the first project. My mother also sewed when I was little. She made me a Strawberry Shortcake bedroom set and my brothers a StarWars one. I loved sitting under her sewing table as she pushed the pedal to make the sewing machine go. There wasn't a more magical place in the whole world. There was something about the hmmm of the sewing machine that excited me, something was transforming from simple fabric to a usable item. When I was 10 my Great Grandmother passed on and I inherited her sewing machine. I was allowed to keep it in my room and use it at will. My mom signed me up for community sewing classes, where the magical item I learned to sew was a makeup bag sewn out of a place mat. I made them for everyone I knew. Whether it's an apple pillow or a makeup bag, it's awesome to get hooked on sewing things!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment