Wednesday, May 23, 2012

What's really happening this Month!

I realize having not posted all month and then just posting pictures, makes it seem as though we've been engaged in constant fun.  Quite the opposite.  This has been the hardest working month for me personally, there is nothing more motivating then someone constantly asking what they can do next.  This month we had our first intern, he was eager to work hard, to learn, and to do whatever I asked, although weeding fell on his 'not so fun' list. 

In two hours he planted 60 tomato plants, something that would have taken me a week.  I can't plant in front of the little one, cause he see this as an opportunity to un-do everything I've done, and since he is in tow except for a two hour daily nap, I don't have the time to start and finish a project in one morning.  He, the intern, also got the eggplants and peppers planted in but a few hours and was once again asking me what he could do, amazing!  Can someone like this come every spring?  Please?  We also planted pumpkins, squash, watermelons, and cantaloupe.  He helped Pete level three more garden beds, which included chain sawing down more cedars, and filled a barn with hay. I'm sure the list goes on and on.

The other big happening this months is we started delivering produce again.  Last year we didn't start until mid-June, but thanks a little more experience, and to the mild winter we've started a month earlier then that.  Eating local from a local farmer has been so romanticized in the last few years.  It is beautiful to know where your food came from, to eat in season, and to lessen the carbon-foot print that the food traveled.  So people come to us excited and ready to receive....tomatoes in May.  Believe it or not tomatoes love hot, so that don't come until Summer.

This year we started out with Kale, Swiss Chard, Lettuce mix, Onions, Radishes, Dill and Anise.  Leafy green veggies, leafy green veggies, leafy green veggies, with some toppings.  Reality for May, but now you can throw some peas on top of your greens too.  Even as the grower, who can consume large amounts of leafy greens in the name of good health, get's tired of them.  Each morning I watch as the blackberry blossoms change from flowers to hard little berries, to slightly purple berries, and I hope that one day I'll look into those bushes and staring back at me will be a big, fully-ripe, dark, delicious black berry.  On that day I will happily partake and enjoy.  Don't worry the bushes are loaded.
Pickin' Cherries with my Neighbors Help.
While waiting for that ever-so-close day, I almost let the cherries in the orchard go un-noticed.  Thank goodness they are bright red and that at rare moments I drive my car off of the farm and pass right by them.  There is only on cherry tree on this farm and how that happened I'll never know, but it is a pie cherry tree.  That means small and tart.  As I started picking I imagined picking enough for all 10 of our participants, pitting them all and freezing everyone an entire pies worth.  If I was willing to pick and pit everyday this might become a reality but I certainly don't have the time to dedicate to one fruit, while my garden calls, so do my kids, the dishes, the laundry, and meals.  So a small pint sized jar of delicious jam will have to do.  There were only 10 so if you are one of the lucky few - Please savor every bite!  Taste of the sunshine, think of little Golden climbin' and pickin', and of me pittin'.  Nothing takes longer and makes a mess of the counter and floor quicker then pittin' cherries.  It sure is delicious.  It taste like pie in a jar.  We've eaten our with yogurt.  Golden said, "Now this is the way to eat yogurt!  You can make me this every day Mama!"

Enjoy! You are one of ten people to receive one.

No comments:

Post a Comment