Saturday, September 3, 2011

Recipe of the Week-Linguine

Since starting a CSA, community supported agriculture, I realize that I enjoy vegetables, even the out of the ordinary type.  Chinese Noodle beans being my new favorite.  I've gotten feed back about the amount of produce we give weekly as being a lot.  Honestly I could use up a weekly offering in two days, after all I enjoy vegetables.  So I'd like to start including a weekly recipe to help participants, and any one else who reads this, to enjoy vegetables and try new recipes.  Here my first one tried last night from the produce provided on August 30, don't worry if you've used yours up this next weeks offering will look very similar. This recipe is adapted from Cooking with Heirlooms By Karen Keb Acevedo, entitled: Vegetarian Linguine Carbonara.  I'll underline the ingredients offered from our farm.

Linguine
Ingredients:
1 pound linguine pasta (or any kind of pasta you have on hand)
2 TB. olive oil
1 Cup fresh swiss chard or spinach
1 Cup chopped Chinese noodle beans (3-5 beans or green beans)
3 TB. chopped fresh basil
2-3 Fresh, medium sized tomatoes, diced
Salt and pepper to taste
2 Cloves of garlic, minced
2 Large Eggs
Parmesan Cheese

1.  Cook Linguine, slightly undercooked is better.  Drain, wash, and put back in the pot.  Add olive oil, swiss chard, Chinese noodle beans, basil, tomatoes, salt, pepper, and garlic to the pot with the noodles.  Toss the mixture, keeping the pot on low heat.

2. Whisk the eggs in a small bowl, and add them to the linguine mixture.  Using tongs, toss the mixture until the egg is cooked and mixed well.  If the egg makes the pasta clumpy, then add 1 more tablespoon of oil to the mixture.  This makes the dish appear to have a nice creamy sauce without having to consume the calories of heavy whipping cream, thus leaving you feeling satisfied and not sluggish.

3.  Place the pasta on a serving platter and top with Parmesan cheese, we also added chopped pecans and more fresh basil.





















No comments:

Post a Comment