Wednesday, July 6, 2011

The Very Hungry Catepillar

As I speak with friends and family I realize that this blog paints a very beautiful picture of our family life and of farming.  Yes, I do believe that my family is beautiful and farming has its ups but it is also a butt kick every day.  I'd like to compare it to Eric Carle's Very Hungry Caterpillar and any other child's book that involves that consuming monster.  Growing organically can be thrilling and down right depressing.  One day your out in the garden and you see small little plants popping their little heads out of the dirt, and you well up in side with pride.  There is a sense of true accomplishment in watching something grow from seed. 

Over days and then weeks you watch it grow, you water it, you nourish it, and keep weeds at bay, and then one day you come out and it is no where to be found.  First you look around to make sure that you are in the right row, then you question your sanity, you wonder if you really planted something and watched it grow, and then you investigate a little further.  This investigation turns up a rather fat,,seemingly content catepillar, one that resembles the one that ate hole through one of your childhood books.  They've even saught refuge already nicly wrapped up in a cacoon, something  you no longer see as a miracle, but a complete nusance and a sure sign that this process of dissappeearing, holey plants will continue to reek havoc in your garden.

In response to this hungry monster you decide to wage war and daily turn over each leaf and pick them off.  At first this grossed me out and I made sure I had gloves on.  I would gently pick them off and place them in a bucket, after picking them off for over two hours I would feed them to my chickens.  Chickens, vegetarians, now that is a funny label I've read and laughed at.  Chicken's love bugs, especially caterpillars, and they have an amazing way of turning those ferocious nuisances into delicious orange, thick, yoked eggs.  Yummy! 

Watch out on caterpillar picking morning, I get mean.  Sometimes I don't even stop to find a bucket, I just squish them.  And people tell me organic cost to much?  With the battle I attend to daily to protect my vegetables and fruits in hope that they might grace your table and pallet, I hardly think 50 cents more cover the cost of my time and dedication.

Yes, living on a farm with two boys is fun, but it is hard work.  Perhaps when you read my blog it sounds like a little piece of heaven and you desire a slice.  I hope this paints a different side of the picture and fills in some of the color.  I do love working outside, except when it's over 100 and humid, like today, hence the writing.  I love having my husband close, but no touching me, as he seems to be drenched in sweat all of the time.  I love having boys that cry if they don't get outside daily, this includes my baby.  I love sharing what we are doing.  I hope to keep this real and not scare to many of you away from visiting or even reading.  Farming is a butt kicking!  Yes, I hate the sight of caterpillars, and I've hid all of my children's book that portray their munching tendencies as cute.

No comments:

Post a Comment