Thursday, December 23, 2010

Tis the Seasoning?

I had a friend once that said she was tired of paying $4.00 for spices and was excited to grow her own herbs and save money.  This year we grew basil, two different kinds, sweet and lime.  Basil grows like a weed, so at some point I was tired of the taste of basil added to all of our food.  We had basil in our eggs for breakfast, we had basil in our sandwiches for lunch, we had basil on our pizza and in our pastas.  I didn't want to waste any so we made lots of pesto and froze it for the winter when perhaps we would be craving the delicious basil flavor, we haven't broken into it yet.

Then I dried tons of it, hours were spend cutting leaves off of basil stems, dehydrating, crushing and finally putting in seasoning jars.  Four dollars for dried basil not worth it?  I'd say after all of the work I did in planting, watering, caring, harvesting, drying, crushing, that a small bottle of dried basil is worth about $50 or more.  All of that work and eight jars is what we have to share with others, any one up for paying $50? 

1 comment:

  1. Oh my goodness, Kerri. This is amazing. We will treasure our $50 jar!

    ReplyDelete