Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Prego on the Farm!

 


Since we live on a farm, internet service isn't the most reliable way for us to tell you all what is happening.  Uploading photos takes the longest and I often give up, so I am excited that it actually worked this time as I've wanted to post pictures of each one of us, allowing readers to not only get to know our farm but us as individuals.  So this picture is of me and I'm 35 weeks pregnant with our third child. Gardening while being pregnant has been therapeutic, physically challenging, and  enjoyable.  
I'm the one that gets to plant the seeds and celebrate as little green things pop up and eventually grace our plates in the kitchen.  There is something magical about seeing something grow.  This year I planted broccoli for the first time, I had to ward off the caterpillars daily but it has all proved worth it.  Basil has been a huge success also.  We have three varieties Thai, Sweet, and Lime.  I've made pesto and dehydrated tons, as well as enjoyed fresh basil on pizza, spaghetti, sandwiches, and eggs.  Cantaloupe and watermelon have been nice treats, also plants that I have not grown before, but are incredibly rewarding. 
I'm also the resident worm farmer.  I've never taken care of worms in my life nor has it crossed my mind to care for them. They always seemed so gross especially on the playground after a big rain storm. I disliked the kids that would pick them up and try and throw them on me.   As a young girl I did however have a snail collection, not exactly the same but still slimy little creatures.  
I also get to grow all the flowers.  I'm excited to add perennials to our garden for next year.  Of course they will be heirloom varieties and all of my childhood favorites, like:  lilies, tulips, and daffodils.  The sunflowers on my lap in the picture I grew.  This year I also discovered the joy of growing zinnias.  They come in a variety of colors and are hardy, easy to grow, and beautiful.  We've enjoyed fresh cut flowers on our table each week.  If you are looking for something for a child to grow this is the flower I would suggest.  Well, those are a few of the things I get to do around here.  Hope you all are enjoying hearing about our farming adventures.

4 comments:

  1. I love hearing of your farming adventures. They make me jealous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm enjoying reading about your farming adventures! I found your blog just a couple weeks ago and love it! Mark likes it too. He's not much of a blogger but has ALWAYS wanted to be a farmer!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Finding your blog has made my day! I love to hear about your life on the farm. How lovely to have fresh flowers every week. I'm excited to hear about the arrival of your next little one. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kerri, you are awesome! And so beautiful! Every time I read your blog it makes me want to go plant something. I think I may do as you said and start with flowers. My daughter would love helping me with that.
    Congrats on baby Rivers. Hope youre doing well!
    -Suzanne-

    ReplyDelete